Thursday 6 March 2014

Being a Missionary is not romantic



In my latest newsletter home I write…

This country has captured my heart. I love this country in all its beauty. I see it every day reflected in the countryside, the lush green rolling hills and rice paddies with people knee deep in the water harvesting their crop. Reflected in the houses with the vibrant coloured exterior walls. Reflected in the cobblestone streets with zebu cattle being herded down the street and row after row of market stalls. The pineapples for sale jostling for attention next to hubcaps and bed frames, second hand shoes hanging on strings, and huge mounds of rice and beans, tumbling out past the footpath right onto the street.  I never get tired looking at the faces of the people. There is so much beauty within, all I have to do is smile and they never fail to smile back. 
 
Pineapple Stall with a view
This country has broken my heart. This developing nation is really hurting. I see it when I walk outside the house and see the children playing in the smelly refuse and picking through it to find food to fill their bellies. I see it when I peek over the wall and realise our neighbours live in dirt floor shacks made of scraps of lumber and tin, with no sanitation or running water.  I see it when I see boys sleeping on the footpath in broad daylight, cuddled together for warmth, because it’s safer to sleep during the day than at night.

Children sleeping on the pavement

Today I just feel frustrated. Yes, I get to do cool things and take awesome photos and put them on Facebook of chameleons that look like their praying and posing for pictures against a mound of pineapples after going fruit and vege shopping in the early morning light. That stuff is cool but some days I just wish I could go back…  Back to my former Aussie life where I could watch TV in English, eat food that wasn’t rice and count down the days to the Easter Holidays like everyone else.

What makes it difficult is that I am wide awake… awake to the poverty, awake to the things that could be changed in this country so that that it could thrive and become more developed. Watching TV even if the Oscars were on doesn’t end the poverty, in fact one of the reasons that I get so frustrated is that gap between rich and poor gets wider as the TVs get bigger and bigger. 
 
Biggest TV ever... in a shop about 200 metres from the sleeping boys

What makes it worse is when I hear people say. “Well I worked hard for this TV I deserve it…” So my question is “do children on the street dressed in dirty clothes who sleep on the pavement in broad daylight deserve that too?”

 It frustrates me that the children begging on the street now boldly come up to me to ask for biscuits because I gave some to their friends… I’m not frustrated because they are asking- I give gladly. I’m frustrated because a  packet of biscuits doesn’t  change much- it might help for 5 minutes to ease the gnawing pain in the child’s belly but it will take lasting long term change to end poverty for these children and their families here. Families do actually live on less than one dollar a day here in Africa- it isn’t just a slogan used in a World Vision campaign it’s the truth.

.
Anybody that thinks being a missionary is romantic is dead wrong. Being a missionary is darn hard work interlaced with glimpses of His Majesty…

 The truth is I have culture shock on a daily basis.  I miss being able to drink water straight from the tap, I miss proper milkshakes made from fresh milk and served in a paper cup. I even miss McDonalds even though I hardly ate there because at least in Australia I had the option of buying a double cheeseburger every now and then.I wouldn’t want to be doing anything else though. 

In fact I’m seriously thinking of coming home at some point this year for the sole purpose of earning a heap of money doing supply teaching and raising a heap of awareness to pour it all back into this country. To dream up wholistic solutions so that these children and their families are enriched body, mind, soul and spirit.  
There is only one of me but if pint sized pimpled teenager called David could slay a giant twice the size of him then anything is possible. 

It’s not romantic it’s better than that its life changing…

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for opening my eyes to the plight of others and sharing your frustration so I to can try to understand. You are doing great things. While a biscuit may only cure the 5 minutes of hunger of a child, the kindness and non-judgement seen by them in your eyes will be held in their hearts and their memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much I appreciate your encouragement

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you read please comment here