Wednesday 21 September 2016

Combating spiritual juju


Spiritual juju? Twisted Christian or spiritual tradition based on man's interpretation of faith or bible teaching. 

Example; "God won't give you anything you can't handle.

Not an actual scripture verse... spiritual juju at its finest... Deception designed to wrap you up in bondage and distance you from a personal relationship with Father God. 

Bible truth? 
James 1:2-4
Consider it pure joy my brothers and sisters whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces preseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
2 Timothy 4:3
You're going to find that there will be times when people will have no stomach for solid teaching, but will fill up on spiritual junk food- catchy opinions that tickle their fancy. They'll turn their backs on truth and chase mirages. But you! Keep your eye on what you're doing; accept the hard times along with the good; keep the Message alive; do a thorough job as God's servant. (The Message) 
How to combat spiritual juju? 
Colossians 2:8-10
See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world  rather than on Christ. 

Spend time reading Biblical truth and hearing God's still small voice for yourself. 

If well meaning friends or family counsel or encourage you- recognise that if it doesn't sit well with you don't receive it, let it bounce off you...

 For too long I have worried about letting people down when I make decisions, and living my life for this unseen audience instead of living my life for an audience of One (Father God). I've come to recognise that I can't please everyone- in fact the only approval that I need is God's approval and I already have that! Even better? I got this before I even did anything!! Do you remember when Jesus was baptised by John and the Holy Spirit descended on Him like a dove? 

Luke 3:22b
And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love;with you I am well pleased. 

He hadn't done anything yet! No miracles no nothing... And yet God affirmed His love for him and accepted him! 

He does the same for us as sons and daughters... Loves and approves of us! 

I'm in a season of change at the moment... Lots of exciting/nerve wracking decisions on the horizon and lots of past stuff that I have been processing so that I don't carry it into my new season. 

My new professional supervisor for work said this to me in our first session... "Life is not a tightrope it's a playground!" 

I love this thought, for so long I've worried about making decisions and have used a spiritual juju as the main reason why I do stuff.. It can cripple you! No more! 

I love this thought of playgrounds! I can see God the Good Good Father standing there... Saying look... Do you want to go on the swings? Go for it! You want to try out the slide? I'll be there when you climb that ladder... Everything is here for your enjoyment.. I know you're going to live a life that serves me and honours me. It's OK rejoice! 

Yay for new seasons and rest in Christ! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like what you read please comment here