Monday 11 February 2019

My husband has Aspergers... or how I wig with his head Part 1

So my wonderful husband is home this year and will be studying teaching full time at uni. While I’m at work all day he has agreed to complete household jobs for us. 

Today’s list consisted of the following; 
1. Find the printer cable (we’ve moved it’s in a box somewhere) 
2. Do Mum’s budget (because we promised and he’s good at that sort of thing) 
3. Access his uni email and check if there is anything important (because he still needs a placement) 
4. Clean the kitchen (we had dishes to put away) 
5. Washing (because a girl always needs clean underwear) 
6. Heating dinner (already cooked just reheating) 

I rang my Darling Husband hereafter known as D.H at about 5:30pm as I was still at work and was processing our loud what we were going to do about our grocery online order as Woolies wasn’t doing online due to the floods (go figure?? It makes no sense) 

And I could tell he was in a grumpy mood...

I got home at 7pm (yes I know I worked a long day) to a sparkling floor throughout our house ) and a very grumpy husband. 

Now why was he grumpy you ask? Well it took a good hour for me to determine this. But I knew he was grumpy because he had mopped every inch of the house and was now in the office slinging boxes around unpacking.. this is a bad sign... I’ve come home before to a sparkling house and had a long disagreement with my D.H over a seemingly trivial matter (we lost the remote for a couple of weeks that time he’d box tidied it in frustration) 

So I let him be for a bit and asked if he wanted to be left alone or to talk to me... when he told me he wanted to be left alone... not cool...
Later I asked him if I had upset him... 
Affirmative I was slightly confused as I had been knee deep in teenage angst and career counselling all day...

Apparently I’d set unrealistic expectations this morning and he hadn’t got ALL the jobs done so this was wigging him OUT!  

Because I’d used the words “clean the kitchen” not tidy the kitchen he interpreted this as vacuum, mop and clean the kitchen... and because he couldn’t just vac and mop the kitchen he’s continued throughout our (albeit) small 2 bedroom house. 

I was so confused and somewhat bemused in my head I was waiting for my logical rational husband to come up with the punchline to today’s joke but no I’d really messed up... 
so humbly I apologised and he forgave me (Always) and our evening continued.

Lesson of the evening...
Be careful with phrasing clean and tidy are not interchangeable 




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like what you read please comment here