Friday 14 August 2020

A Slice of Real

Life has been a bit tricky lately... I’ve been feeling irritated and grumpy and hubby and I have been clashing a bit. 

There’s lots going on-COVID (aka bloody ‘rona) is taking a toll on everything, figuring out next steps about children (arrgh!),  hubby’s ongoing fibromyalgia battle, low self-esteem because of my weight... I know people see me as a strong, happy person... but some days it’s just hard. 

I was talking to my bestie recently and explaining a problem I had been having and the feelings associated with it... she told me that it was OK to validate my feelings. I seriously had to stop for a second and ask her what she meant... Validate meaning to acknowledge them and be OK that this was how I was feeling right now. 

Like many of us I’m quite good at venting but then I always tend to feel guilty about it afterwards and strive to be more “peace love and apple pie” next time... 

I have been pondering this today and I realised she is so right. We need to validate how we are feeling and allow ourselves to feel like we feel when we feel utter rubbish- it’s called being real. Human! In getting stuck in the thoughts of guilt accompanying venting or other negative emotion I wasn’t allowing myself to process instead trying to pretend that everything is OK when it clearly wasn’t. 

I’ve also recognised that mental health issues are definitely still a stigma in our society... and people don’t share. So I am... I rang the doctor today and I’m going to get Mental Health Plan to go back to my Pyschologist and talk through some of this stuff... because I’m worth it and I’d rather be proactive and acknowledge that things aren’t completely OK right now and that’s OK. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like what you read please comment here