Friday 21 December 2012

Excerpts from my African Travel Journal 21st Dec 2012

Day 1 Zimpeto Children's Centre

Am staying in a room with a lovely lady called Mel from the UK. She is so helpful. Met a lovely couple from South Africa and 3 Kiwis.  Belinda and Kevin took me to the Special Needs House to visit 6 special kids

1. Rafael 4 years
2. Domingos 13 years
3. Paulo 10 years
4. Alfredo 5 years
5. Carmina 9 years
6. Lucas 9 years

Especially taken with Lucas he apparently has a degenerative muscular illness. He had the most gorgeous smile I had ever seen. I got to feed him breakfast he would interrupt me every now and then with a big smile- so infectious!

Belinda, Kevin and I then took all 6 of them to the local "piscina"swimming pool. Apparently they never get to go understandably as all the kids walk there (about 20 minutes away) The kids loved it! Lucas got so excited and was splashing everywhere! Got back in time for lunch- rice and beans not bad considering!

Then we drove in the van for 45 minutes to get to Shoprite the local supermarket. The lines were insane! It was absolutely crawling with people, being so close to Christmas. It seriously took forever to shop because I was constantly dodging people and trying not to elbow people in the ribs. The queue for the checkout took literally an hour and a bit to get through. So bored! I did manage to learn the Portuguese words for rice and sugar- arroza and pucara as this was what they were selling in the line I was in- It went halfway up the aisle!

Shoprite Supermarket- people everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like what you read please comment here